[Mediawiki-l] is there any benefit from having multiple wikis on the same server run on different mysql daemons?

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Tue Jan 11 19:27:09 UTC 2011

As the number of wikis we host increases, I worry about our single mysql server becoming a bottleneck.  I assume that by modifying $wgDBserver  in the different copies of LocalSettings.php, I can point each wiki to a different port that is running a different instance of mysql.

But is this worth doing?  My concern is that when we do db intensive stuff on wiki A, wikis B...X will underperform.

Thanks!

Jim Hu

Jim Hu
Associate Professor