[Mediawiki-l] Trouble with MediaWiki:Common.css?

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 22:52:32 UTC 2011

Vidvei, Tor wrote:
> I have set up a small MediaWiki site some months ago.  I wanted to change the appearance of tables, and did the following:
> From the english Wikipedia, I opened the page with the common style sheet (MediaWiki:Common.css), copied the content and pasted it into the corresponding page in "my" MediaWiki installation.  However, after some minutes the entire site suddenly became completely inaccessible!
> Of course, I suspect the change of Common.css. But I might certainly have done other unintended changes.
> My questions:
>
> 1)       Any proposals on how I can get access to the wiki again?
>
> 2)      If not, are there any way I can "undo" the changes to Common.css when I have no access to the Wiki?  (The wiki is installed on a webhotel (http://www.one.com).  I have no shell access, but access via FTP and an administration panel for MySql.
>
> Hoping for an answer...
>
> Best Regards
> Tor Vidvei

What do you mean by inaccessible?
A bad CSS change couldn't for instance produce a blank page. It can eg.
make you lose the styles, but nothing too dramatic.
The easiest way to undo your change is to disable CSS in your browser
and revert that page. The wiki will look "funny" without CSS but is
completely usable.