[Mediawiki-l] Least-worst present WYSIWYG solution?

Sullivan, James (NIH/CIT) [C] sullivan at mail.nih.gov
Thu Feb 10 20:06:47 UTC 2011

Yea, another annoying feature of the FCKeditor is it trying to make sense of what it does not understand, like some extension tags, leading it to mangle them, like replacing < and > with &gt and &lt.  If your users are going to use an extension's features and FCKeditor is going to mangle them then this may be a real issue.  I use the Inputbox but I tend to be the only one editing those pages and I normally use wikitext as my default editor.

Still, overall, the FCKeditor is accepted pretty well here but we only add extensions to a wiki when a user requests it.  Normally only Cite and FCKeditor are added, and FCKeditor understands and uses Cite.  I've installed various Calendar extensions, Widgets, and CategoryTree with no complaints but that doesn't mean the users have run into all the possible problems.

-Jim