[Mediawiki-l] Least-worst present WYSIWYG solution?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 19:01:19 UTC 2011

On 10 February 2011 17:02, Sullivan, James (NIH/CIT) [C]
<sullivan at mail.nih.gov> wrote:

> I've been using the FCKeditor with our wikis and it is fine for regular use.  So if your users will just be entering text and an occasional table or image it is more than fine.  But, if they plan to do things a little more fancy such as adding links or alt-text to images or using templates they could run into some frustration since the FCKeditor doesn't really handle these well and you need to use wikitext.  But, the FCKeditor has gotten my users over the wikitext fear and opened up using wikis at my site to general users.  Keep in mind the FCKeditor has its bugs but they are few and have not caused any frustration I am aware of for regular users.  Plus I let our users know that if they are going to get fancy they should probably be using wikitext anyway.

Our organisation isn't government, but I'd say the typical user has
comparable technical competency, i.e. they're good at their jobs, they
want to share information, but they largely can't work computers.

Is it that hard adding links in FCKeditor? I'd have thought that was a
pretty basic function ...

-d.