[Mediawiki-l] how do I restrict the length of usernames?

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 20:56:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM, 2007 at gmaskfx.com <2007 at gmaskfx.com> wrote:

> I've tried every flavor of confirmedit and none of them seem block the
> worse offenders. I tried ReCaptcha but now the bots or the person determined
> to get around that get through and post their spam anyway. If I could I'd
> have several of these at once just for account creation.
>
> I'm trying the question based one now and hopefully that won't be too hard
> for the people I want to actually edit the wiki.
>
> Speaking of questy captcha.. is it possible to have one question and
> several answers?
>
> $wgCaptchaQuestions[1] = array( 'question' => "Question?", 'answer' =>
> "answer1", 'answer' => "answer2", 'answer' => "answer3" );

We suffered many attacks and fortunately had the OpenID login extension,

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenID

installed and so decided to disable native wiki account creation with this
in LocalSettings.php:

# Prevent new user registrations except by sysops
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;

Then updated  MediaWiki:Loginprompt to

suggest that new users create accounts with an OpenID.

This seems to repel the attacks.

Many users will already have OpenID authentication via their email accounts
or other popular web sites.

        --Fred