[Mediawiki-l] How to add new special page group?

Robert Baruch robert.c.baruch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 22:22:46 UTC 2011

I'd like my extension's new special page to go under a new special page group in Special:SpecialPages, since it doesn't fit in any of the other categories, and it seems a bit silly to just stick it under "Other".

However, it looks like you can't just add a new message and expect Special:SpecialPages to pick it up. For example, if my new group were, just for example, "Pages which Manipulate the Space Time Continuum", I would have thought that doing this would be sufficient:

1. Add a new message to your extension's internationalization file:

$messages['en'] = array(
  'myext' => 'My Bunch of Pages',
  'specialpages-group-spacetime' => 'Pages which Manipulate the Space Time Continuum'
);

2. Categorize the special page (in this case, Special:TimeMachine:

$wgSpecialPageGroups['TimeMachine'] = 'spacetime';

So why doesn't this work? A quick perusal of the source code in SpecialPageFactory.php doesn't seem to turn up anything additional to do...

Thanks,

--Rob