[Mediawiki-l] User migration

Stephen Berg (Contractor) stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Mon Dec 12 17:28:45 UTC 2011

I'm rebuilding a wiki that was previously on 1.5.6.  I have a good mysql
dump of the database but trying to use that didn't work so well.  What I
ended up doing was a fresh install on the server with mw 1.18 and
exported/imported all the pages.  (It's not a big wiki).  The problem
now is getting user accounts migrated to the new wiki.  I've looked at
the mysqldump's from both versions and there's some big differences.

I did attempt to run a manual "INSERT INTO blah blah" on the new server
using the format I could discern from the dump, and the user account I
created was indeed added.  But any attempt to login failed.  Tried to
"email new password" and the wiki said there is no user by that name.

How can I cleanly migrate the user accounts from the old 1.5.6 to the
new 1.18?  The few references I've seen to extensions that might do this
all seem to be out of date so I'm a little wary to attempt them.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator
stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil