[Mediawiki-l] incorrect mime type detection

Jens Wille jens.wille at gmx.org
Tue Dec 6 12:50:10 UTC 2011

hi all!

i have two image files i want to upload to my wiki that are detected
as zip archives though they in fact are images (which `file` says,
too). now i have no idea how to teach mediawiki to identify the
files correctly. i can change the metadata in the database, but that
only leads to another surprise: those changes are reverted the next
time the image pages are accessed. huh? where does this information
come from then? why are the metadata even stored in the database
when it's not authoritative?

can someone please shed some light on this matter. i'm absolutely
new to running a mediawiki instance of my own. you can find the two
files in question here:

<http://linux2.fbi.fh-koeln.de/rdk-smw/Datei:01-0557-3.jpg>
<http://linux2.fbi.fh-koeln.de/rdk-smw/Datei:05-0995-2.jpg>

cheers