[Mediawiki-l] Some problems after 1.17 / 1.18: DatabaseFunctions.php and addMessage()

Daniel Friesen lists at nadir-seen-fire.com
Mon Dec 5 16:01:24 UTC 2011

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 20:03:38 -0800, Eric K <ek79501 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> There's two issues I'm having after upgrading from 1.16.5 to 1.18.0:
>

> 1. Some people (including me) had included "DatabaseFunctions.php" in
> their extensions, for example by doing:
> include_once './extensions/DatabaseFunctions.php';
>

> 1.17 took that file out (file: History):
> === Configuration changes in 1.17 ===
> * DatabaseFunctions.php that was needed for compatibility with pre-1.3
> extensions has been removed.
>
> I was using the database functions for example:
> $my_query = wfQuery($this_query, DB_WRITE);
Grab the master database for writes with $dbw = wfGetDB( DB_MASTER );
You 'can' do a query on that using $dbw->query( $this_query );
However I DO NOT recommend you just start throwing raw sql. Continuing
that pattern is a bad one that won't match the standards that other
extensions live up to. Introducing sql injection vulnerabilities will be
easier, and
I recommend you change your code to make use of the abstract ->select,
->update, ->insert, etc... methods.

> I can fix that temporarily by copying that file and using it but I want
> to work with whatever is "new" now so I dont use any old methods.
>

> 2. I'm also getting this in a few extensions:
> Fatal error: Call to a member function addMessage() on a non-object in
> [...]/extensions/MetaDescriptionTag.php on line 72
>
> That function is being used like this: $wgMessageCache->addMessage
>
> Anyone know any workarounds? I'm going to work on it in any case in the
> next few days and will report back if I'm successful.
Move your i18n messages to an .i18n.php file and add it to
$wgExtensionMessagesFiles.