[Mediawiki-l] Any way to escape a tag in template?

Ron Laufer gonzoron at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 1 16:17:16 UTC 2011

I'm trying to use selective transclusion but via a template and I'm running into recursion issues.

I would like to create a template that, when transcluded in a page (call it page A), causes that page to have a section surrounded by the <onlyinclude></onlyinclude> tags.   Then when I transclude page A in page B, only the surrounded section of page A is shown in page B.  The trouble of course is that if I put those tags in the template, then they get triggered on the first transclusion into page A.   Is there a way to "escape" those tags such that each transclusion strips off a layer of escaping characters?

(I tried putting the onlyincludes within nowiki tags, but apparently the onlyincludes have higher priority than nowiki tags).

ProductVersion
MediaWiki1.15.1
PHP5.2.17 (cgi-fcgi)
MySQL5.1.60-community-log