[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki and Office Docs

McHale, Nina Nina.McHale at ucdenver.edu
Tue Aug 30 18:33:36 UTC 2011

Hi, all,

Sorry to spam the list with this problem yet AGAIN, but we're still not having luck getting MediaWiki to upload and download Office documents, specifically Word and PowerPoint documents.

We upgraded to 1.16.5 in May as part of an overall web upgrade, and that broke what we'd had in place before. .doc, .docx, .ppt, and .pptx were in the permitted files list, and things worked ok before then. After the upgrade, users got a message that files were corrupt. So, we implemented a solution that zipped files—specifically .docx and .pptx files—prior to uploading. The problem now is that when users download those two types of files, they are unzipped into all of their component pieces. Less than helpful, obviously. :)

I know that information wasn't overly specific, and I can provide more if anyone has any leads. We tried this solution—and this post describes what's been happening in better detail than I just did—to no avail:

http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162526

We also added the Office mime file information to mime.info and mime.types.

I know that MediaWiki isn't really meant to go hand-in-hand with Office Documents, but if I can't figure this out, I might be forced to migrate our intranet to ::shudder:: SharePoint. :D Please help an open-source-lovin' girl out!

Thanks in advance,

Nina

Nina McHale, MA/MSLS
Assistant Professor, Web Librarian
University of Colorado Denver, Auraria Library
Facebook & Twitter: ninermac
http://milehighbrarian.net<http://milehighbrarian.net/>