[Mediawiki-l] Weird page capitalization issues on my wiki

Sullivan, James (NIH/CIT) [C] sullivan at mail.nih.gov
Mon Apr 25 18:11:38 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Bolser [mailto:daniel.bolser at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 2:06 PM
To: MediaWiki announcements and site admin list
Subject: Re: [Mediawiki-l] Weird page capitalization issues on my wiki

On 25 April 2011 15:14, Svip <svippy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 April 2011 16:13, Sullivan, James (NIH/CIT) [C]
> <sullivan at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>
>> As for whether its MySQL I don't see how since Mediawiki, or the extensions, control
>> what goes in and what comes out.
>
> Well, it is technically possible, it could be MySQL, since MySQL can
> be set to be case insensitive.  Though, this just proves that
> MediaWiki shouldn't rely on finding the page title in the database,
> but also take the page title returned by MySQL (which would be the
> correct case).

--I'll try to see if mysql is running in a case insensitive locale, and
--I'll try installing a fresh install pointing at a fresh database.

You might also want to check the variable type of the page title in the page table.  The variable type itself could be set to case insensitive, which an extension may have done.  For example, here's a web page I found describing how to set the Mediawiki DB to allow case insensitive titles and what it describes may be something to look for in case one of your extensions did the same.

-Jim