[Mediawiki-l] ImageMagic limits don't fit after upgrade to 1.17alpha

church.of.emacs.ml church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 16 13:02:40 UTC 2011

Hi, (I fixed this problem, I'm posting it nevertheless because it might
be interesting to others)

I updated MediaWiki from 1.15.5 to 1.17alpha and got an interesting
error: thumbnails could not be generated anymore; there was an empty
error message (via thumb.php:147). I traced it back to the ImageMagick
call made by MediaWiki, see http://pastebin.ca/2047146.

Two notable facts:
a) MediaWiki didn't return ulimit's error and instead displayed a
generic error. This should not be the case.

b) I have mostly default settings and enough RAM (>1gb on machine, 512MB
set in php.ini). This *should* work with default settings.

It turned out that the default setting of $wgMaxShellMemory = 102400;
was too low. Increasing it by *10 fixed all problems.
Is the default setting perhaps too low? Anyone else experience this problem?

Also: Were there any major changes on how images are handled between
1.15 and 1.17? Previously thumbnails worked just fine.

Regards,
Tobias / User:Church of emacs