[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki security release 1.16.4

Sullivan, James (NIH/CIT) [C] sullivan at mail.nih.gov
Fri Apr 15 13:30:05 UTC 2011

I employ the "cgi_img_auth.php" method of securing the images directory.  I believe the "image_auth.php" method is similar.  With this method a .htaccess is placed in the /images directory containing "Deny from All".  Another .htaccess in the wiki's main directory contains a rewrite rule that takes any requests for access to the images directory and re-routes it through the cgi_img_auth.php code, which verifies authentication before allowing access to the images directory.  This prevents unauthenticated users from directly accessing the images files, for example with a direct url to the image file.

Its not clear to me that with this in place I need to also add the rewrite rule in the images directory, but if this is still needed, where would I place it?

-Jim