[Mediawiki-l] [Wikitech-l] Dropping IE6 support (was: MediaWiki security release 1.16.4)

Trevor Parscal tparscal at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 14 18:59:08 UTC 2011

*For reading*, we aim to support any browser with 0.1%[1] use or more.

This has both culled things out, like IE 5.5, and surfaced things like NetFront (Sony Playstation Browser).

*For security*, if it's possible to protect the site or our users, and we have money in the bank, we should be doing what it takes to protect them.

*For everything else*, we support various browsers based on a variety of factors:

* Whether the browser can ever support the feature at all
* Level of difficulty getting the feature to work in the browser
* Level of resources dedicated to the project

We normally knock out the most commonly-used and easy-to-get-working browsers first, and then sort out details on other browsers in order of use. There's no base percentage here, just hopes and dreams.

- Trevor

[1] http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/squids/SquidReportClients.htm