[Mediawiki-l] spam, spam, spam, and spam

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Apr 13 20:40:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Siebrand Mazeland <s.mazeland at xs4all.nl>wrote:

> On 13-04-11 19:42 Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org> wrote:
> >What I'd really like to see is the ability to say that you can't make any
> >edits until you have been registered for a period of time, unless you are
> >member of a higher group.  I doubt if the spammers would bother creating
> an
> >account and coming back to post their spam three months later.  I haven't
> seen
> >anyone suggest that it actually is possible, though.
>

> This is already possible. Users can become "autoconfirmed" based on
> several criteria. Once of those is the age of an account. If the edit
> right is set only for autoconfirmed users and up, then registered users
> will not be able to edit until they are autoconfirmed. See:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgAutoConfirmAge
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgAutoConfirmCount

You can indeed do these sorts of things, but if you're not careful in what
you restrict this way you'll find that you simply lock out all possibility
of new users coming to your site and doing anything. A human won't wait
around three months before they can edit, either!

These are usually meant to provide speed bumps to unlock advanced features
after people have had a chance to acclimate (like page renaming, which can
be much more disruptive when misused than merely editing pages).

-- brion