[Mediawiki-l] spam, spam, spam, and spam

Schneelocke schneelocke at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 18:12:13 UTC 2011

Hiya,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 19:42, Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org> wrote:
> What I'd really like to see is the ability to say that you can't make any
> edits until you have been registered for a period of time, unless you are a
> member of a higher group.  I doubt if the spammers would bother creating an
> account and coming back to post their spam three months later.  I haven't seen
> anyone suggest that it actually is possible, though.

I haven't actually tried this, but based on what's on mediawiki.org,
the following might do the trick: restrict editing to members of the
"autoconfirmed" user group, and set $wgAutoConfirmAge to the desired
amount of time (in seconds)[1].

There's also a the "Require Editor Priviledge" extension[2], which
apparently restricts editing to a hand-chosen list of users.

1. http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgAutoConfirmAge
2. http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Require_Editor_Privilege

--
schnee