[Mediawiki-l] Do I need a fresh clean install? Advice and Help needed! - Thanks

monkey monkey2q at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 6 13:50:06 UTC 2011

> $DP = $IP;
>
> This is setting a global variable which has been obsolete since
> MediaWiki 1.2 (2004). I'm not saying it's not a good idea to start
> again every once in a while, I'm just saying that it's possible to go
> a long, long way without doing that.
>
> You should be able to remove the extensions you don't want, and fix
> the extensions you do want, without rewriting your configuration
> files. I've found that "svn checkout --force" is a useful tool for
> repairing tarball installations with modified files. I can give more
> details on that if you want them.
>

> Thanks Tim,

I'll have a look into that --force parameter, but I've only ever changed
localsettings.php ..

Removing extensions/installing extensions:
- I had to "svn checkout" some specific revisions, like after updating going
back again, to actually have a working copy and so on - doesn't this mess up
the system?
- and what about the databases? E.g. some extensions needed some
DB-adjustments .. I've always run the update.php and so on, but how does
this work when you go backwards?

Cheeers
Flo