[Mediawiki-l] System Messages and Templates

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 22:38:44 UTC 2011

John Durant wrote:
> Can someone please explain, or point me to doc concerning, the difference between System Messages and Templates? I thought I understood until beginning to research customizing the Sidebar.
>
> Thank you,
> John

A system message is stored in a page with name MediaWiki:xxxxx They can
have all kinds of syntax (the sidebar syntax is a good example of odd
syntax) and may be used by MediaWiki (sometimes with parameters $1,
$2...). Only sysops can edit system messages.
A template is stored at Template:xxxxx, anyone can edit them (unless
protected), they are included in normal pages with {{xxxxx}}, and its
content is normal wikitext (although they accept parameters as {{{1}}},