[Mediawiki-l] Turning off email notifications for a large number of users

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Apr 4 22:16:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Dan Nessett <dnessett at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Right now the way we handle this problem is to reset the password for the
> user causing the bounces, login to the account and deselect all email
> notification options in preferences. However, it would be better if we
> could just reset the email preferences on all inactive accounts. Is there
> anyway of doing this other than resetting the password on each account
> (of which there are many)? We run 1.16.2 on this small wiki.

You should be able to do this with maintenance/userOptions.php on the
command line:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:UserOptions.php

something like this to see who's got things enabled:
    php userOptions.php enotifwatchlistpages --usage

and to disable active ones:
    php userOptions.php enotifwatchlistpages --old 1 --new 0

-- brion