[Mediawiki-l] Any ideas why $wgReadOnly doesn't work ?

Jon Bartlett Jon.G.Bartlett at gsk.com
Mon Apr 4 09:23:26 UTC 2011

All,

I want to move my wiki to another server (and upgrade at the same time from 1.14 to 1.16.2).
I simply need to make the old wiki readonly, while I move, upgrade and change the redirect URL - so I placed
        $wgReadOnly = 'Upgrading to MediaWiki 1.16.2';
In the localsettings.php file.

However, it doesn't stop me editing pages (I was hoping it would make the entire wiki read only !)

Any ideas why ?

Jon.