[Mediawiki-l] DB size - reducing and backing up

Frank Ralf Frank.Ralf at gmx.net
Thu Sep 30 10:08:24 UTC 2010

> So my question is: Are there any popular good solutions for backing up large databases that you are using for backing up your wiki?
Try MySQLDumper (http://www.mysqldumper.net ).

"MySQLDumper is a PHP and Perl based tool for backing up MySQL databases. You can easily dump your data into a backup file and - if needed - restore it. It is especially suited for shared hosting webspaces, where you don't have shell access. MySQLDumper is an open source project and released under the GNU-license."

A PHP script has a maximum execution time that is usually set to 30 seconds on most server installations. A script running longer than this limit will simply stop working. This behavior makes backing up large databases impossible.

MySQLDumper uses a proprietary technique to avoid this problem."

It's a very reliable tool which is provided by many hosting providers here in Germany.

hth
Frank