[Mediawiki-l] connect to wikis to the same database?

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 20:52:23 UTC 2010

Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am running mediawiki 1.9.3 and would like to try more
> recent version.
> Could I install the most recent version of mediawiki (and
> leave the old in place) and connect both to the same
> database or would this cause problems?
>
> Say the old is installed in
> /var/wiki
> and the new in
> /var/wiki-new
>
> Thanks
>
> Uwe Brauer

You can install mediawiki *files* in a different folder and then in the
installation step:
a) Choose the same database. The latest mediawiki (currently 1.16.0)
will update your database schema, so you shouldn't try to use 1.9.3
anymore (it may work for *reading* on most pages, but doing edits from
both versions would be a recipe for disaster).

b) Install in the same database with a different prefix, so you get an
empty wiki. You then have two completely independent installs, even if
phisically they live in the same database.