[Mediawiki-l] Spammers got me

Eric K ek79501 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 00:14:53 UTC 2010

In your case I'd say:
1. (temporarilty) stop all edits (freeze the wiki, disable anonymous edits and new registrations).
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['edit'] = true;

This will stop registrations and allow only sysops to edit the pages.

2. While logged into your sysop account, revert all pages manually to the correct last edit (rollback). I dont know of any fast/auto way to do this.

3. Make a DB backup if possible. For that file size of 10GB, the webhost may need to do that for you and you can download the file.

4. Delete all old revisions of all pages:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SpecialDeleteOldRevisions2

Make sure every page has the correct current version of the edit. Old versions will be gone.

Thats the only way to reduce the size from 10GB of junk to a clean DB. You'll lose all page histories. There's no way to select only the vandalism stuff for deletion as far as I know. Certain options in the above extension:
"up to date: specify the date of the revisions. All revision before and on that date will be deleted."

Now you gotta do spam prevention. Examine what kind of spam you were bieng attacked with. Simple solutions:
1. Make all user registrations to a CAPTCHA before they make the account.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit

2. If an anonymous IP puts in a link, make them do a captcha.

That should be pretty much it. There's other stuff you can do:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_spam

Watch what kinda spam you get and adjust accordingly.

For human spammers or vandals, check the Abuse Filter extention (link on the page above).

Erik