[Mediawiki-l] Abusefilter extension woes

val criverner velcrohb at live.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 08:13:36 UTC 2010

I'm having crazy problems with the AbuseFilter extension, and I can't get any filters to do anything at all. No matter what kind of actions I try to filter out, they get through without the Abusefilter doing anything to stop them, it doesn't even log the events in the abuse log. Even running it in test mode and comparing all the old edits, nothing matches the filter. For example, the "shouting" filter which is intended to catch anyone typing in BLOCK CAPITAL LETTERS, completely ignores anyone who has been doing it.

It's blind.

The filters I've been trying are the ones wikipedia itself uses, so they should definitely work. For some reason it just doesn't seem to be paying attention to any of the edits though.

I have two other extensions installed, AntiSpoof and "bad behaviour"... Apparently AntiSpoof is required before you can install AbuseFilter, so I doubt there could be any conflict there. Bad behaviour is working effectively, so effectively that it wouldn't allow me to install AbuseFilter to begin with because it seemed to think the installer was a bot or something? So I had to temporarily disable it in order to get AbuseFilter installed. Bad behaviour is still currently disabled so I don't think there could be any conflict there either.

I'm on mediawiki 1.16, the latest one. My extensions are all also the versions which go with 1.16. The server is Apache/Linux. PHP 5.2.42 and MySQL 5.0.85.

Has anyone heard of this happening before, or got even the slightest clue what the problem could be? Even the faintest idea or the wildest guess would be helpful, to give me something to look into. I've got nothing.