[Mediawiki-l] Showing new articles

Bruce Whealton bwhealton at futurewavedesigns.com
Mon Sep 13 06:41:08 UTC 2010

Hello all,
   Ok, if I start encouraging people to create articles, they will want
to see that their articles can be found and read by others.  I added a
box from the CreateArticle extension, which makes it easy to create a
new article.  The problem is that for people who aren't sold on wiki's
yet, in my community of users, they won't see the new article showing up
as a link or anything.  When you go to the front page you don't have any
kind of link that shows every page.  Should I add a link that shows the
most recent pages?
    I know that ideally new pages are linked to from other pages.  With
the CreateArticle extension that won't happen, necessarily.  One just
creates a new article. What's a best practice for sharing all the
pages/articles that are part of a wiki site?  For a new site, it is
reasonable to show every single page for a while, until that list gets
too long.
    I do need to learn more about Categories... but I'm not even sure if
the intention is to create some kind of list, like a menu, or list of
links that include all the pages in a category... and if that is even
the case, if a user creates a page but doesn't put it in a category it
won't show up in any listing by category.  Sure, you might show all
uncategorized articles but that will eventually become less useful as
the list grows.
        Tips, suggestions, guidance, please?  This has been  confusing
me for some time...  I have a  poetry site and thought it would be cool
to have a wiki about words, language, communication, writing and
meaning.  I need to be able to think in terms of how wikis present users
with information about all the articles in a site.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Bruce