[Mediawiki-l] LDAP Authentication problem with encryption method

Tech Geek techgeek12345 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 00:13:48 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am using Mediawiki 1.12 on a Linux Debian system. I have installed the
LDAP_Authentication extension for medaiwiki version 1.12 [1]. The good news
is that I am able to connect and log into mediawiki using our company's
Active Directory server authentication with the following settings in
LocalSettings.php:

$wgLDAPEncryptionType = array( "mycompany.net" => "clear" );

However the bad news is that if I try to use the TLS encryption method like
this:

 $wgLDAPEncryptionType = array( "mycompany.net" => "tls" );

I get the following debug messages:
Entering validDomain
User is using a valid domain.
Setting domain as: mycompany.net
Entering getCanonicalName
Username isn't empty.
Munged username: JohnS
Entering authenticate
Entering Connect
Using TLS or not using encryption.
Using servers:  ldap://ad1.mycompany.net
Using TLS<
Warning:ldap_start_tls() [function.ldap-start-tls]: Unable to start TLS:
Decoding error in
/var/lib/mediawiki/extensions/LdapAuthentication/LdapAuthentication.php on
line 197
Failed to start TLS.Failed to connect
Entering strict.
Returning true in strict().
Entering modifyUITemplate

with medaiwiki login page saying "Login error: Incorrect password entered.
Please try again."

How can I check if my Active Directory server uses TLS method? Is the
problem with the Active Directory or in my setup of the LDAP_Authentication
extension?

Thanks

[1]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/ext-dist/LdapAuthentication-MW1.12-r30722.tar.gz