[Mediawiki-l] Urgent : Unblock user whos has been blocked because of too many login attempts

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Oct 13 20:25:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Wikimini <webmaster at wikimini.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the "urgent" label but I urgently need to unblock a user who
> cannot login anymore because of too many login attempts with wrong
> password.

IIRC the failed login counters are stored in the cache. If not already
expired out, you could restart memcached (if using memcache) or clear out
the objectcache table; or you could temporarily change the
$wgPasswordAttemptThrottle settings.

Cache key for the login attempts includes the IP address and a hash of the
username, if you're brave enough to clear an individual entry:
$throttleKey = wfMemcKey( 'password-throttle', wfGetIP(), md5( $this->mName
) );

The default maximum is 5 hits in 5 minutes (300 seconds), so _should_ be
long expired already if using defaults.

-- brion