[Mediawiki-l] Section formatting problems

Darby Vicker darby.vicker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 22:04:29 UTC 2010

Hello,

We've been using mediawiki for internal documentation of various
projects for some time now.  Many of our pages use sections,
subsections and sub-subsections to document compilation settings for
the various codes we use.  Sometime relatively recently (~months ago)
the formatting of these pages broke.  Our current configuration is:

CentOS 5.5
2.6.18-128.2.1.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Jul 14 07:07:49 EDT 2009 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
php-5.1.6-27.el5
httpd-2.2.3-43.el5.centos.3
mediawiki-1.12.0
mysql-5.0.77-4.el5_5.4

To be more specific, the problem appears to be with "empty" sections.
For example, the following wiki text:

 ==Section 1==

===Subsection 1.1===

====Sub-subsection 1.1.1====

==Section 2==

===Subsection 2.1===

====Sub-subsection 2.1.1====

Doesn't format correctly when I save and view the page.  Its as if the
wiki engine doesn't recognize the section headings and I just get one
big string of text like this (all on one line)

Section 1=====Subsection 1.1=======Sub-subsection 1.1.1======Section
2=====Subsection 2.1=======Sub-subsection 2.1.1==

Although its odd to me that there are only 2 equal signs at the end of
the string and none at the beginning.  Also, the TOC doesn't show up,
which makes sense if the wiki engine isn't recognizing the sections.
If I put any non-whitespace character in the sections example above,
the page formats as you would expect and the TOC appears.

The specific formatting I'm trying to fix looks more like the example
below.  Apparently a pre-formatted section  (<pre>) doesn't help as
none of the section headings below are recognized either.  I have to
put text (just one character will do) under each code section as well
as before and after each pre-formatted block in order for all the
sections to format correctly and show up in the TOC.

So my questions:
 - can anybody else reproduce this?
 - is this expected behavior?
 - if not, any ideas for tracking down where the error is occurring
(mediawiki, php, mysql, apache, ...)?

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Darby