[Mediawiki-l] which is the latest version of MediaWiki available?

Schneelocke schneelocke at gmail.com
Wed May 26 19:38:06 UTC 2010

Hiya,

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 21:26, Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am a little confused.
>
> The MW site http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki mentions two
> versions available at once:
>
> 1.15.3 – 2010-04-07
> 1.6.12 – 2009-02-07
>
> Meanwhile, a Beta version of 1.16 is out there, supposedly.
>
> Yet this extension:
>
> http://pluto.htu.tuwien.ac.at/devel_wiki/SecurePages
>
> requires "1.16 or later". So which is? Where do I get the truly
> current/latest version?
>
> Thanks.

1.15.3 is the latest general release. 1.6.12 is the latest release
that is compatible with PHP 4, but unless you absolutely cannot use
PHP 5 at all, you shouldn't use it.

The next release (not counting security fixes etc.) will be 1.16.0, in
the 1.16 branch. Right now, the latest version there is 1.16.0beta2.

Finally, there is the version that the Wikimedia projects themselves
run on; that one is, for all practical purposes, the current
development tree, which is kept in a Subversion repository. You can
get this code, too (using Subversion), but unless you plan to resync
regularly, it's probably a bad idea.

For a new wiki, you should probably go with 1.15.3, or - if you don't
mind using beta software - 1.16.0beta2.

HTH!

--
schnee