[Mediawiki-l] Making it easier to move a wiki

Parker Jones zoubidoo at hotmail.com
Tue May 25 11:55:19 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have to move my wiki installation several times a year and it's always a laborious, time-consuming admin task.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Moving_a_wiki

I was wondering if there were any plans to make it easier?  Would it be possible to develop a script or admin functionality to automate the task - saying breaking it into just two steps: "Export entire wiki" and "Import wiki".  It would backup/restore the database, copy any additional files LocalSettings, (uploaded images etc), ...

Another problem I encounter is that one platform has an older version of mediawiki and the new platform has a newer version - but to move the wiki there's no way around installing two versions on one of the servers.  Am I missing something?

Z.
PS Thanks to all the contributors for the great software - it's really top quality!