[Mediawiki-l] $wgAutopromote - How To

Valerio M. Pelliccioni vmp at silkwood.it
Mon May 24 08:06:36 UTC 2010

Hi,
I have found that assigning groups with APCOND_EMAILCONFIRMED  using $wgAutopromote gives the rights of the group named within $wgAutopromote, but the users are not actually recorded as being members of the group.
Let me explain, it looks like the promotion works, but the user IS NOT really belonging to that group, so the rights i've set don't work, because MediaWiki doesn't  recognize that the user belongs to the promoting group.

I mean that the user can see himself belonging to the promoting group in his/her user preferences, but in the Special:UserRights page (logged in as WikiSysop) the promoting Group is not checked for him/her in parenthesis and actually the user doesn't inerhit the rights of that group.

Am I miss something in configuring Mediawiki?
How can I make MediaWiki recognizes that the user belongs  to a promoting group after he/she is autopromoted?
Kind regards,

Valerio Pelliccioni