[Mediawiki-l] FCK Editor svn head and MW 1.16b2 - correct venue?

Daniel Barrett danb at VistaPrint.com
Thu May 20 13:45:46 UTC 2010

Sullivan, James writes:
>The latest version that I use (2.6.4) has a (C) menu button that allows
>you to add Categories to your page, bringing up a dialog box and showing
>existing categories to choose from or to create a new one

I wish categories worked in FCK Editor, but they have bad bugs.

Create an article with this category tag, using the standard wiki editor.

[[Category:Widgets | {{PAGENAME}}]]

Save it, then re-edit with FCK Editor.  You'll see a weird {{PAGENAME}} word in the editor, as it mistakes your category tag for an internal link with alt text. Now, think like an end-user who sees something weird in the article. Delete {{PAGENAME}} in the editor. Save the article, and FCK Editor saves your category tag like this:

[[Category:Widgets | Widgets]]

which is wrong.  Now edit the article again in FCK Editor. You (again an end-user) now see an unwanted "Widgets" word in the article. Delete it and save.  Now the article wikitext contains:

[[Category:Widgets|<br>]]

which is even more wrong.  Call your support desk for help. They tell you to delete the category tag and re-add it. So you add it using the (C) menu button and get:

[[Category:Widgets]]

which is syntactically correct, but you've lost the sort key {{PAGENAME}}....

Also, FCK Editor inserts categories with underscores instead of spaces in their names, like [[Category:Foo_Bar]]. Another small bug.

See, this stuff is tricky. :-)

DanB