[Mediawiki-l] FCK Editor svn head and MW 1.16b2 - correct venue?

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Wed May 19 15:08:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:55 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Our main problem is how to make things work for people who want
> WYSIWYG and people who want wikitext. I thought this was what CK in MW
> was working on ...

That really is the kicker isn't it? For longtime users of MW, there's
nothing you can give me in a WYSIWYG that I can't do in wikitext.
I would probably quit the project if WYSIWYG became mandatory.

So to answer the original question of "Why don't we have WYSIWYG
when it's been around for 15 years?" It's because we need a lossless
conversion between raw wikitext and wikitext output by the visual
editor. Last time I checked, this was the major flaw that FCK and CK
editor still haven't overcome.

-Chad