[Mediawiki-l] Wikia

Raymond Wan r.wan at aist.go.jp
Wed May 12 14:14:22 UTC 2010

Bobby,

Bobby S wrote:
> Perhaps this isn't the forum for this, but I wanted to pose it to you
> all anyway to spark some debate and discussion. I understand this may
> not be popular with some...
>
> Why isn't Wikimedia or some other non-profit organization creating the
> "library" as Jimmy Wales likes to describe Wikia?  Aren't the sites on

I'm not a moderator on this list nor do I want to pretend to
be, but FYI, this list is primarily for talking about the
installation and development of Mediawiki and topics related
to that.  Not for the "debate and discussion" on Wikipedia
that you're trying to spark...  This is mentioned here:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mailing_lists

If you are new on this list, you can scan the archives to
get an idea of the types of postings that are made.

IMHO, Mediawiki is the tool and not as related to the
question you are asking as you think.  It would be like
asking the people who came up with the MP3 standard why
music companies disallow music sharing ... kind of asking
the wrong people...

Ray