[Mediawiki-l] Wikia

Bobby S bobbys at gmail.com
Wed May 12 13:54:41 UTC 2010

Perhaps this isn't the forum for this, but I wanted to pose it to you
all anyway to spark some debate and discussion. I understand this may
not be popular with some...

Why isn't Wikimedia or some other non-profit organization creating the
"library" as Jimmy Wales likes to describe Wikia?  Aren't the sites on
Wikia knowledge and information just like Wikimedia's sites?...while
you could argue that Wikimedia's sites are more easily classified as
educational, the sites on Wikia do have information that educates on
specific topics.

Why then should we let a commercial company control the "library"
instead of a non-profit?   I understand some will argue that the fact
that Wikia is copyleft means they are the good guy in the fight, but I
would argue that they have no skin in the game to make their content
easily accessible for other purposes and make their content easily
digested without a bevy of ads in order to pay for the servers.

Wondering what your thoughts are on this topic.

Bobby