[Mediawiki-l] Upgrade to 1.15.2 question

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 13:50:44 UTC 2010

Tolliver wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Excuse me if my question sounds like a newbie, but I still am; I
> inherited the Wiki Server some months ago. I am preparing to upgrade
> MediaWiki 1.11.0 to 1.15.2, and we currently have 30 wiki’s.
>
> My understanding is, I can upgrade each wiki individually. Having said
> that, can I perform the install process of the new version, replace the
> old wiki’s with the new install individually? Hence not having any
> databases being affected except for the wiki I upgrade.
>
> I trust that this question is in keeping with this forum.
>
> Thanks,
> Graham

Install process?
You may be taking a wrong approach.
You update by replacing the old files with the new ones, then running
the script at maintenance/update.php
Only the database of that wiki is affected.

So to update you should just surround it with a "foreach wiki..."
Good prectises advise making a db backup before updating.

If the wikis are sharing the files, it may be a bit harder, since you
would need to break the links for updating individually (or update all
dbs one after other at the same time).