[Mediawiki-l] Upgrade to 1.15.2 question

Łukasz Garczewski tor at wikia-inc.com
Wed Mar 31 13:49:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Tolliver <tolliver at dal.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Excuse me if my question sounds like a newbie, but I still am; I
> inherited the Wiki Server some months ago. I am preparing to upgrade
> MediaWiki 1.11.0 to 1.15.2, and we currently have 30 wiki’s.
>
> My understanding is, I can upgrade each wiki individually. Having said
> that, can I perform the install process of the new version, replace the
> old wiki’s with the new install individually? Hence not having any
> databases being affected except for the wiki I upgrade.

That depends on whether your 30 wikis are using one codebase (a shared
directory with MediaWiki code) or each one has it's own directory.

In the first case it would not be possible to upgrade one-by-one "just
like that", but it would still be possible with the use of symlinks,
for example.

One thing to note is that, during an upgrade, you DO NOT run the
normal installation process. There is no need for that. Instead, you
switch to the newer codebase, and then run update.php (found in the
maintenance subdir) for each of your wikis.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

--
Lucas 'TOR' Garczewski