[Mediawiki-l] Web page source - "strange" characters

Léa Massiot lea.massiot at ign.fr
Tue Mar 23 14:50:25 UTC 2010

I am so sorry I bothered you with the previous two posts but problems
occurred:
proxy blocking, email error... Sniff!
lmhelp2 is the same as lmhelp...
Here is the post I wanted to submit:

Hi nakohdo,

Thank you for your precious help :) .

I am using "Firefox":
in "View -> Character Encoding", "Unicode (UTF-8)" was and is checked.

 > Try opening the robots.txt in your browser and change the encoding to
UTF-8.
With both "Firefox" and "Internet Explorer" Chinese characters aren't
displayed
properly. (The character encoding being Unicode (UTF-8) in both cases).

 > right click, "Save target as..."
I have "Save Page As..."
So I saved the page as "robots.txt" and opened it with "MS Word".
It proposed me to choose a specific encoding:
I chose Unicode (UTF-8).
And it worked! I could see the Chinese characters and other foreign
characters too!

 > The robots.txt file you mentioned in your first posting doesn't
provide a mechanism
 > for telling its encoding so the browser has to guess or take the
defaul settings.
So, I added, at the beginning of the file "robots.txt", the following code
(without the starting dashes):
--<html>
     --<head>
         --<meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
     --</head>
     --<body>

and at the end:
     --</body>
--</html>

And I changed the file extension:
robots.txt -> robots.html

Then, I opened it with Firefox and IE and I got the Chinese characters
and the other characters properly rendered too!

Thanks for your brains :) .
Sincerely,
--
Lmhelp