[Mediawiki-l] CSS/JavaScript mystery on wiki family

Daniel Barrett danb at VistaPrint.com
Thu Mar 11 21:48:11 UTC 2010

I'm experimenting with implementing a wiki family with MW 1.15.2 and have seen some bizarre behavior when I change domains. Anybody have an explanation?

I set up 3 hostnames, en.mywiki.com, de.mywiki.com, and fr.mywiki.com, on the same server, thanks to DNS and Apache. They all point to the same physical MediaWiki code tree and database, but in LocalSettings.php, I override $wgLanguageCode differently (to 'en', 'de', and 'fr') based on the hostname.  Simple so far.

Here's the strange part. When I visit en.mywiki.com and change MediaWiki:Common.css (say, make the body background color = pink), then refresh the browser, the changes show up as expected. But when I browse to fr.mywiki.com and de.mywiki.com, the CSS does NOT take effect, even though they use the SAME MediaWiki:Common.css page in the database.  I can view MediaWiki:Common.css under all three hosts, and it displays identically for all three URLs (I see "background-color=pink").  But the CSS never takes effect for the fr and de domains.

It gets stranger.  If I now edit MediaWiki:Common.css on fr.mywiki.com - say, change the body background color from pink to green - then fr.mywiki.com becomes green, but en.mywiki.com REMAINS PINK!  And de.mywiki.com is still unchanged from the default.

Browser refreshes do nothing.  Browser cache-clearing does nothing.  Trying in different browsers makes no difference.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Dan