[Mediawiki-l] Wrong database, maybe

Javier Bezos jbezos at fundeu.es
Tue Mar 9 08:59:28 UTC 2010

Hi all,

This is the background. A year ago we hired a person to
update and add some improvements we needed, with an estimated
time of 8 weeks. After months of delays and a lot of problems,
we've fired him. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the database has
been damaged or not properly set up.

Now, two questions--

1) In the short term, I'd like to fix an issue with searches.
The site is in Spanish but it's unable to find words with
diacriticals in the article body (in the title they are found).
I've rebuilt the search index, with no luck. Fortunately, I
had access to old dumps and I've noticed a difference --
formerly tables were like

CREATE TABLE `wl_archive` (
  `ar_namespace` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `ar_title` varchar(255) character set latin1 collate latin1_bin NOT
NULL default '',
[...]
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

and now they are like

SET @saved_cs_client     = @@character_set_client;
SET character_set_client = utf8;
CREATE TABLE `wl_archive` (
  `ar_namespace` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `ar_title` varchar(255) character set latin1 collate latin1_bin NOT
NULL default '',
[...]
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;
SET character_set_client = @saved_cs_client;

2) In the medium term, and with the background above, which
is the best approach to have a "correct" database and system
again.

Thanx
Javier