[Mediawiki-l] RELEASE-NOTES for just rOLDER to rNEWER

jidanni at jidanni.org jidanni at jidanni.org
Sat Mar 6 12:56:53 UTC 2010

I do "svn update" every few weeks.

I enjoy reading the
=== Configuration changes in 1.xx ===
=== New features in 1.xx ===
=== Bug fixes in 1.xx ===
== API changes in 1.xx ==
contained in RELEASE-NOTES, and have even devised a way,
$ cp RELEASE-NOTES /tmp/r
$ svn update
$ diff /tmp/r RELEASE-NOTES
to get a very rough idea of what changed between rOLDER and rNEWER.

Alas, when we cross a 1.15/1.16, 1.16/1.17 boundary one is forced to try something like
$ perl -nwle 'print if /=== Configuration changes in 1.16 ===/../== Compatibility ==/' /tmp/r > /tmp/r2
$ sed '/== MediaWiki 1.15 ==/q' mediawiki/HISTORY|diff -U0 - /tmp/r2
All this diff stuff is getting quite insane. Isn't there something more precise,
like Debian's apt-listchanges...

Isn't there a SVN command that can print exactly those
=== Configuration changes in 1.xx ===
=== New features in 1.xx ===
=== Bug fixes in 1.xx ===
== API changes in 1.xx ==
for my given rOLDER to rNEWER space in time? (and nothing more verbose please.)
How is RELEASE-NOTES generated? I can't find how in my SVN tree.

P.S., shouldn't all lines be === above? One is ==.