[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki version statistics

Sullivan, James (NIH/CIT) [C] sullivan at mail.nih.gov
Fri Jul 30 13:45:54 UTC 2010

My understanding of "dial home" is that the software will automatically contact a pre-defined website to check whether updates are available and if so allow the automated download of those updates and automatically install them.  Typically, as with Wordpress, an administrator has to allow the download and installation.  Wordpress also has the annoying feature where it not only shows that updates are available to a logged in administrator but also to any logged in user.  For example, my Wordpress dashboard currently says: "WordPress 3.0.1 is available! Please notify the site administrator.", which I can understand might annoy the administrator.  But it explains why Wordpress installations are mostly up to date.  On my PC at home Firefox also dials home but has the annoying feature of not asking me whether I want to upgrade and simply starts the upgrade on its own, telling me to wait until it is finished.  My CentOS linux system also dials home for OS upgrades, and then lists what specific software will be upgraded before asking me to continue to have them upgraded.  So there are different ways to implement a software's ability to dial home and upgrade itself, some more annoying than others, but I think if we are looking for Mediawiki to achieve a high level of notifying administrators and getting it patched, dialing home works better than subscribing to a mail list.

-Jim