[Mediawiki-l] Registration by Admin

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 01:06:31 UTC 2010

On 26 July 2010 01:53, B. M. Whealton <bwhealton at futurewavedesigns.com> wrote:

>       Is it possible for an admin to setup an account for someone in
> advance?

It can be a bit laborious generating accounts one at a time by hand,
but I've done it. Do you mean some sort of special: page for
generating accounts? I don't think there is one.

>        Also, what would be a good way to setup a front page for people
> when they first come to a site?  One wants to have a front page that
> explains things.  Is that just called Main Page?  And a simple cheat
> sheet, quick start guide would be good.  I don't want to overwhelm
> people with a large document that they must read before getting
> started... well that defeats the purpose of wiki, which means fast.
>       Can I see examples of how some of you have done your wikis?  What
> are some good pages that would be desirable to have when starting off
> with a new wiki?

My use case is intranet wikis, so I can't show you examples.

I tend to keep it called "Main Page" because that's what it's called
on Wikipedia, which people are used to. (I'll also have to start
switching new wikis' skins to Vector so they look like the familiar
Wikipedia ;-)

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Editing is always good to link,
e.g. as "Quick guide to editing wikitext."

Useful links to internal stuff. A few created pages for them to look
at. Exhorting them to write stuff. Setting up Extension:InputBox to
create a page for them has been helpful for my wikis.

- d.