[Mediawiki-l] Update 1.14.0 to 1.15.4 queries

kilucas kevin.lucas at concave.co.uk
Sun Jul 25 21:20:53 UTC 2010

On Jul 25, 9:52 pm, Benjamin Lees <emufarm... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Kevin Lucas <kilu... at gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > 1) my installation instructions said to place v1.14.0 in a version- related
> > directory so it's in /var/www/mediawiki/mediawiki-1.14.0.
>
> Which instructions say that?http://svn.wikimedia.org/svnroot/mediawiki/tags/REL1_14_0/phase3/INSTALL
> says to rename the directory to something else (mediawiki-1.14.0 is
> the default directory that would be created when you untar the files);
> the installation guide on MW.org doesn't say anything on the subject.

The page at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Wiki_family says
"Install MediaWiki and additional tools as usual to a version-
declaring subdirectory(e.g., /home/web/mediawiki/mediawiki-1.10.0)." I
had my eye on a permitting a wiki family at one stage and so will have
seen this reference then as I sought to build a family-friednly first
installation.

> In any event, you should move everything so that MediaWiki is at
> /var/www/mediawiki (or just /var/www/w; seehttp://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL#Recommended_how-to_gui...
> ).

Will do. Not sure if this makes wiki family development trickier later
but I'm keen to get the first onto the latest version as a higher
priority now.

You will need to update your Apache alias, $wgScriptPath (in
> LocalSettings.php), and possibly $wgArticlePath when you do this.

Very helpful.

> > 2) the update instructions say I might not have an AdminSettings.php file
> > but later say I must have one and it's used in the update.php command line.
> > I don't have one for my v1.14.0 mediawiki so do I need this and if not what
> > is the command for running update without it please?
>
> You won't have it if you haven't upgraded before; you'll need to
> either create it (copy AdminSettings.sample to AdminSettings.php and
> then edit it) or just define $wgDBadminuser and $wgDBadminpassword in
> LocalSettings.php.

Sounds simplest to create it. I've not looked at it so far, but will
now.

Thanks very much for this.
Kevin