[Mediawiki-l] Update 1.14.0 to 1.15.4 queries

Kevin Lucas kilucas at gotadsl.co.uk
Sun Jul 25 19:35:26 UTC 2010

I'm a bit confused when I try to match the update instructions for

v1.15.4 with the instructions that I followed for installing v1.14.0 and
wondered if someone might be able to help.

1) my installation instructions said to place v1.14.0 in a version- related
directory so it's in /var/www/mediawiki/mediawiki-1.14.0. The upgrade
instructions say to write v1.15.4 files over these but it would be confusing
to have v1.15.4 files in a v1.14.0 directory so I've currently placed them
in /var/www/mediawiki/mediawiki-1.15.4. But I'm guessing that I will need to
tell parts of mediawiki/apache2/php that mediawiki will be in a new
location. Where are these references to the mediawiki folder please? Or do I
not need to worry about this because the update proces will take account of
it all? (I thought I'd edited the mediawiki folder name into an apache alias
at one point for example rather than the installation scrtipt doing
everything for me).

2) the update instructions say I might not have an AdminSettings.php file
but later say I must have one and it's used in the update.php command line.
I don't have one for my v1.14.0 mediawiki so do I need this and if not what
is the command for running update without it please?

Thanks for any pointers you might have.

Kevin