[Mediawiki-l] Permissions and Security

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 22:41:48 UTC 2010

B. M. Whealton wrote:
> How does one setup a media wiki that has protection against persons who
> would want to post very inappropriate material?  I know that many wiki
> software engines do have permission settings to only allow registered
> users the ability to edit the wiki.  Unfortunately, that has been my
> need and concern.
> Thanks,
> Bruce

You probably need a captcha [1]. That will filter most of the bots. Note
that requiring to register is not a guarantee to keep out bots (some
register just to spam you) and its annoying for some users.

Anyway, a wiki needs attention. You should dedicate a bit of time to
look at Special:Recentchanges. Perhaps some minutes a week/or a month.
It's sad to see wikis that no admin has edited for months, and whose
content has been buried under spam just because nobody cared about it.
They restricted editing to registered users when creating and didn't
look at it any more, still running a version years old.

1-http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit