[Mediawiki-l] Google Summer of Code 2010/Wikimedia update

Rob Lanphier robla at wikimedia.org
Thu Jul 8 19:47:43 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give everyone an update on Google Summer of Code.  This
officially started back toward the end of May, and the students have been
working away at their respective projects:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2010

I've asked all of the students and mentors to help fill out "status"
sections to all of the projects as of this week, since we're at the point
where everyone is starting to ask "hey, what's up with this?".  More
importantly, the mid-term evaluations are due at the end of next week.  I've
gotten a pretty good response to that request, and I imagine that we'll see
a lot more updates over the coming week.

There has been a little chatter on IRC about the lack of communication, and
I'll accept some of the blame for letting things go on autopilot for a
little while.  The good news is that there is status information if you know
where to look, but much of the communication is not in the form that
longstanding community members are used to.  So, students and mentors,
please by all means pester us here on this mailing list and jump onto
#mediawiki on IRC when you can, and link your status pages on
mediawiki.orgto your preferred means of providing mass updates.

Thanks!
Rob