[Mediawiki-l] Please convince me to make my software open source

Bernard@bernardHulsman.nl bernard at bernardhulsman.nl
Mon Jan 18 18:32:37 UTC 2010

Kurt M. Weber wrote:
> Bernard at bernardHulsman.nl wrote:
>
>> We have build many extensions to improve the functionality of MediaWiki.
>> It is for
>> Enterprise use as Knowledge management infrastructure. The name of the
>> extensions and additional
>> functionality is Wikibox Blue. The software is propriety.
>>
>> It can be hosted as SAAS
>>
>> Today there has been a request if automatic signing of thread is
>> possible in the discussion page.
>> This is standard functionality in WikiForum. Which can be used in the
>> talk namespace.
>>
>> But it is propriety software. So it can not be used.
>>
>> My question is here : Please convince me I have to make my propriety
>> software open source.
>>

> You really shouldn't make it open source.  If your business model at all
> involves making money directly off these extensions, then open-sourcing
> it will remove any barrier whatsoever to people paying you for them.
> It's simply absurd.
>
> Kurt M. Weber
> kmw at outwardhosting.com

Kurt, thank you for really thinking with me. I have been thinking about
this. I feel Open Source is good. But Open Source is not enough. I feel
like intension must also open. So my Business model is open. See
http://www.wikiation.nl/Business_model  This is quite rare thing to do.

You are right. There must be a barrier between my SAAS Wikibox Blue and
Open Source Wikibox Blue. My ability of making money really depends on
these extensions. Thats why they are so valueble to me.

Kurt to you and to all. I really appreciate the way you are thinking we
me. This is important to me.

Regards Bernard