[Mediawiki-l] Signing text automatically in discussion page

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 18 16:55:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Tech Geek <techgeek12345 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Magnus,
>
>>A simple JavaScript could check if there's ~~~ in the edit box when
>>saving a talk page, and alert you if there's not.
> Looks like this might work. Where do you exactly put this javascript? Do I
> have to install some kind of extension which will let me add my own
> javascript or should I modify the main mediawiki files?

No extension needed, just edit [[MediaWiki:Common.js]]. Example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Common.js

Add an onload handler that checkes if you're editing a talk page, then
add a click handler on the save button. That handler then checks the
edit box for "~~~" and throws a dialog like "No signature detected,
save anyway?".

Cheers,
Magnus